Soft and beguiling with ripe black fruit flavours, a velvety texture and generous length.
A wonderful vintage year is evident in the poise, concentration and balance this wine possesses.
The wine is built for ageing and we recommend to enjoy it between now and 2016.
· Single Vineyard: Home block
· From Sustainable Production, accredited by Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand
· Moutere clay soil with a layer of sandy loam
· Focus on healthy soil and sustainability
· Close planting: 3780 vines/ha
· All vines grafted on site
· 9 Clones: UCD 5, UCD 6, 10/5, 22, 114, 115, 667, 777, Abel
· Weather Conditions: After a rather humid spring and early summer,
Nelson was blessed with the most amazing Indian Summer, allowing us
to pick all varieties at full ripeness.
· Hand-picked and hand-sorted on 21 April with 25.6 Brix
· 4 weeks cold maceration at 2 ○C
· hand plunged, gentle press cycle
· Gravity-fed from press area to main winery
· aged for 12 months in new and two-year old French oak barriques
· Minimal pumping
· Gentle filtration in a single pass from cloudy to sterile
· Bottled on 4 August 2011 under screw capsules
· 15.0% Alcohol
Powerful Nelson red, robust, very ripe and rich, with a strong surge of plum, cherry, spice and nut flavours, and firm underlying tannins.
A classic ‘iron fist in a velvet glove.’
Warm and generous, this is a seductive pinot showing lifted aromas
of dark cherry, game, spice and savoury mushroom. The palate is ripe
and silky with excellent fruit intensity, finishing long and succulent.
Tannins are fine and polished, providing lovely frame to this appealing pinot.
At its best: now to 2015
The 2010 vintage was a great one in Nelson, and this wine is a perfect expression of both the quality of fruit delivered from the vineyards to the winery and the respect shown to that fruit during processing.
Lovely deep, concentrated black cherry and black berry fruit flavours with a hint of liquorice and just enough toasty oak and silky tannins to give the wine perfect structure. Another true delight from one of Nelson’s most consistent producers.