Our boldly coloured Montepulciano 2010 is bursting with power, concentration and
texture, showing a heady nose of violets and chocolate.
The wine will benefit from bottle ageing and we recommend to enjoy it between now and 2015.
Soul mates from the kitchen:
Wood-fired pizza, papardelle pasta with hearty wild pork stew or spicy Hungarian Goulash
Ideal serving temperature: 18°C
· Montepulciano originates from Central Italy and produces large, almost seedless grape berries of an amazing dark colour.
· relatively low acidity (especially for an Italian varietal) and mild sweet tannins
· ideally suited to the temperate Nelson climate
· From Sustainable Production, accredited by Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand
· 100% Blackenbrook fruit from our Home block
· Moutere clay soil with a layer of sandy loam
· Weather Conditions: After a rather humid spring and early summer, Nelson was blessed with the most amazing Indian Summer, allowing us to pick all varieties at full ripeness.
· Hand-picked and hand-sorted on 12 May with 23 Brix
· Gentle di-stemming before fermentation on the skins
· hand plunged, light press cycle
· Gravity-fed from press area to main winery
· 12 month ageing in French oak barriques in temperature controlled barrel room
· Minimal pumping
· Gentle filtration in a single pass from cloudy to sterile.
· Bottled on 2 Aug 2011 in Light-Weight Bottles to reduce our Carbon Footprint
· Screw Capsules
· 14.5% Alcohol
· only 104 cases produced
Moderately weighty and attractively scented red with typical violets/floral, subtle berry and wild herb flavours. Satisfying, supple red with firm, ripe tannins giving a drying finish.Wine Buyer's Guide
A powerful, boldly coloured red, sweet-fruited and crammed with fresh plum, red-berry and liquorice flavours.
Vibrantly fruity, with a subtle seasoning of oak and good tannin backbone, it’s well worth cellaring.